Hyde Park Picture House – the world’s only surviving gas-lit cinema – is set to undergo major restoration works after securing a National Lottery grant of £2.3million.
Constructed by architect Thomas Winn & Sons in 1914, Hyde Park Picture House was given Grade II Listed status in September 1996, and remains a highly regarded feature of the community.
Enhancements have been proposed to incorporate a second screening room in the existing basement and improve the accessibility of the cinema. Plans also include space for a café and seating areas along with a modernisation of the main entrance.
It is hoped that these renovations will encourage more visitors to the picture house, increasing its revenue and expanding its reach. The project will be funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, charities and local councils.
G&T is also advising on procurement and contract routes.
"The Hyde Park Picture House is full of history and these sympathetic refurbishments will allow more people to visit and enjoy it, without detracting from its heritage and beauty."